Thursday, July 06, 2006

Great Ironstone Roofing Batman!

Another stage down, another inspection completed. And this one went fairly well actually.

In the words of my building inspector the roof carpentry is “excellent” and “above spec” in many areas (like the use of long bolts instead of nails in some high load parts of the roof and using thicker stronger timber then the standard in areas). So that is quite good news.

However the colorbond sheeting on top of the roof carpentry is a different story. It would appear that the guys who laid it had to rush off somewhere before completing the job and only hand enough time to screw in the colorbond sheets with a couple of Tek screws…. Or they are really shonky. A typical example is a 15 metre ridge cap which has only 3 screws in it, 2 on one side and 1 on the other…. I could pull that off with my teeth! So that is the major “needs to be fixed” item on this inspection report. The rest is pretty good.

The plasterers finish putting up the interior concrete render yesterday, and boy does the place look dark and gloomy or what! Next week the ceiling will be installed and then its down to the plumbing and fittings (tiling, kitchen cupboards etc – windows in there somewhere..). According to my inspector the house is running pretty much on time, maybe even a little ahead of schedule in comparison to the other houses he is looking after, so perhaps all my complaining has gotten me some where (or am I doing Ventura an injustice here?....... nah I don’t think so).

The one thing that still makes me weep, which at this point has gone from being annoying to being a farce, is the concrete slab situation. The problem we had at the very start of construction when the slab was laid HAS STILL NOT BEEN FIXED. I’m not sure what it will take now to actually fix it, really it is pathetic, just pathetic.

Now I am faced with the situation that when (IF!) someone turns up to fix the concrete there is a strong possibility of damage to my now rendered walls and not to mention the amount of rocks and dust and s*#t that will get kicked up and not have anywhere to go to cause the roof and ceiling are on.

So currently my mood swings between happy, cause the roof is basically good, to down right filthy at the amazing contempt and stupidness of the builder in fixing an issue that has been highlighted since the slab went down 4 months ago.

Oh well… time for ANOTHER letter to Ventura asking about this… again.

Technorati controls below. Good for searching my blog I guess.

Click the orange square thingy below to subscribe to this blog via FeedBurner.