Friday, March 03, 2006

So here we are 3 weeks later.....

Well, the fence saga has been resolved. Finally. And do you know what the resolution of the saga was? No? Well lets recap the issue first.

1) I was told (and only because I asked), that the fence between my block and my neighbours would have to be removed before the slab could be laid.

2) I told the builder that that was not going to happen because the fence was NOT on my property (the neighbours willingly and happily built the fence entirely on their property instead of half on our side - as they are entitled to do), so the builder can not touch it.

3) The builder basically said tough it needs to be removed anyway.

4) I said no and sent them the first of 3 emails that continually asked the same questions and pointed out the fact that the fence was in now way encroaching onto my block.

5) The builder commissioned a fence line survey to establish where the fence was and billed me for it.

6) I told the builder to go jump because I didn't authorise anything and that it didn't take a surveyor to go out to the site (10 min drive away from there main office by the way) and look at the fence for themselves, they agreed to pay for the survey.

7) At this point I was on first name basis with the regional building manager and he said that the survey showed I would have to remove the fence.

8) I replied saying that the survey showed that I did not have to move the fence (it quite clearly shows the fence as being between 15mm and 5mm beyond the boundary line on the neighbours side.

9) He said he would get back to me.

I rang him up yesterday, not waiting for him to 'get back to me' and he said that the concreter was going out to the site next week to lay the slab, and the fence didn't have to be taking down because .... and wait for this, this is good.... because HE HAD GONE OUT TO THE SITE THE DAY BEFORE TO HAVE A LOOK.

So something that took 3 weeks, 4 loooong emails, more phone calls then I care to count, a surveyors drawing and involved two families could have been solved at the very beginning if someone with a little bit of common sense went out to the block 3 weeks ago and just had a look for themselves.

I now feel I was right in sticking to my guns on this, had I just said "Oh well" and taken the fence down I would have been out of pocket by a large amount, temporary fencing required for neighbours dog (I couldn't expect them to pay for it, its my house), cost of removal and re-installation of fence and all for NO REASON, because in the words of the Regional Manager, the fence does not need to come down.

We had a coffee over at my soon-to-be neighbours house last night 'celebrating' the news. I let them know how appreciative I was at their patience and efforts on my behalf (they talked to there surveyor for me, confirmed the fence line for me, placed the fence 4 cm inside their property originally for me, very nice people). Hopefully now I will not have to trouble them again. Hopefully I will not have any more issues with the building of the house either, but I am not holding my breath.

Until next time :)

Technorati controls below. Good for searching my blog I guess.

Click the orange square thingy below to subscribe to this blog via FeedBurner.