Monday, February 06, 2006

It all started with storm clouds and Ominous warnings

Friday was the day, the day it all began, the great construction project of 2006 (at least for me!).

When we finally got around to see the block, it was 8pm and it was dark, but the anticipation was high. We had no doubt we would see great things, we were promised it would all start on time. So when we got there (and you can probably guess where this is going...) we were a little disappointed to see that not a sausage had been done. Not one grain of sand moved and I was entirely doubtful as to whether a bobcat had been with 10 kilometres of the place.
(NOTE: for those people who are right now wondering why the hell I was expecting a small wild member of the cat family, a Felis rufus - http://www.desertusa.com/april96/du_bcat.html - to be anywhere near my block I am afraid we have been caught at the crossroads of a cultural misunderstanding and I am in fact referring to these - http://www.bobcat.com/ - and not the feline variety!)

So, you can imagine my surprise when I drove passed on Sunday to find that the (as of Friday) previously virgin untouched block was now a paragon of levelness. It would seem that the contractors for some reason best known to themselves decided Friday was not a good day to do earthworks and so instead came around on Saturday and did it then.

It was most exciting actually seeing the floor plan of the house laid out on our block! It finally get some sense of where the rooms were and how big they were was a great moment, especially when the family/meals/kitchen area appears to be much large then either of us thought it would be.

So now begins the daily pilgrimage to the new site to check on progression.

On a different note, I bought a 19-23mm Wide angled lens for my SLR camera on the 28th of Janurary, its it is being delivered today! I am most impressed with that, 8 days from purchase to it arriving on my doorstep, including 4 days of weekends. What's that you say, 8 days isn't impressive? Well let me add one more piece of info to that equation.. I purchased the lens online from an American store, in AmityVille to be precise and it got here, Perth Western Australia in 8 days). Impressed yet? I am.

I'm more impressed with the price. To purchase a wide angled lens from any store here in town it would have cost me somewhere around the $600 Australian mark, a similar lens bought in the US cost me $80 US plus only $36 US for postage. My first thought was "cheap imitation rip-off rubbish" at that price, but it comes with a 5 year warranty, is a Vivater (or is that Vivatar?) built lens and all the reviews I can find are very promising. Its not a professional lens, but then I'm not a professional photographer so all is good. Hopefully tonight when I get home it will be waiting for me.

Technorati controls below. Good for searching my blog I guess.

Click the orange square thingy below to subscribe to this blog via FeedBurner.