Friday, February 17, 2006

And so it begins...

Footings down on the 21st right, Slab down on the 22nd.

Not a chance.

The boundary that I share with my (lovely) neighbours has a fence along part of it, and a brick wall (their garage) along a bit more of it. My house is going to have to boundary walls on the same boundary, overlapping the garage wall already there and about 10 metres of fencing.

Now because, to me, this seemed like it may be a problem I rang up and asked what was going to happen to the fence while the footings, slab and brick wall were being laid and the built wall was being built. I replay I got back was "You will probably have to remove them for about a month.

I turns out that if I had not rung up and asked about this what basically would have happened was that the crew would have gone out to lay the footings and either removed the fence themselves or delayed the footings until someone else (ie me) removed the fence first). Don't these people believe in prior planning and preparation? Obviously not.

So I went round to the new neighbours last night, spoke to them about it and they said that
a) Its not a boundary fence, it has been placed 3 cm inside the boundary (they did this to make it easier for us when we build, we didn't ask them to, they did it of their own bat)
b) The dog they have (large thing!) means the fence stays
and I added point C..
c) if they can build the house, lay the footings and lay the slab at the point where the brick wall is (they obivously cannot remove the neighbours garage!) then why do they need to remove the fencing?

So I rang up the builder this morning and said that the neighbours, in no way, give their permission to allow anyone to remove or dismantle the fencing, and I could see no reason why they should.

The end result is that the builder is going to get the block surveyed again to determine where excately the fencing is (my word of it being inside the boundary is not good enough), which is going to take 4-5 days, delaying the footings and slab by at least a week.

and so it begins, the delays, the hold ups, the problems..


Can any one out there tell me why the fence why the fence is in the way, but the brick wall is not?
mood: depressed.

Technorati controls below. Good for searching my blog I guess.

Click the orange square thingy below to subscribe to this blog via FeedBurner.